This page contains a selection of free PDF lessons, video demonstrations and backing tracks. The lessons presented here are for a range of playing abilities and are not planned as a structured course. Students attending my 1 to 1 lessons can of course expect an organised course of lessons aimed at their individual needs.
Afro-Cuban 6/8 (Nanigo)
Bass Drum Technique
- Develop Your Passion For Drumming pdf
Jungle / Drum ‘n’ Bass
- Time Signatures… Explained pdf
Single Stroke Roll
- Alternating Lead, Bounce Workout pdf
Six Stroke Roll
Here are some ideas based on the six stroke roll…
- Part 1: pdf video
- Part 2: Evenly Spaced pdf video audio1 audio2
- Part 3: Split In Half pdf video audio1 audio2
- Part 4: Linear Licks pdf video audio1 audio2 audio3 audio4
These basslines are designed to challenge your sense of time. In each track the bassline will drop out for a set number of bars, when this happens there is no click track to keep you in time. If you can stay in time, when the bass re-enters it will line up perfectly with your groove again. Start out simple with a basic groove that fits the bassline. As you get better at keeping time in the breaks you can begin to make your grooves more complex, add some fills, or even try to improvise a solo in the silent bars.
- Funk, 110bpm, 2 bar breaks audio
- Funk, 110bpm, 4 bar breaks audio
- Rock, 130bpm, 4 bar breaks audio
- Rock, 130bpm, 8 bar breaks audio
- Shuffle, 120bpm, 4 bar breaks audio
- Jazz, 160bpm, 12 bar breaks audio
The following click tracks will gradually give you less and less information, making it harder and harder to stay in time. First it marks every 1/4 note, then it only plays on beat 1, then beat 1 every two bars, then every four bars, and finally just one click every 8 bars.
. . .more coming soon